A Cornucopia of Geekery
Friend of the blog Nightwing17 posted a list of things in comics he’s grateful for. You can check it out here. Geeks can sometimes be a bitter and demanding lot so it’s nice to focus on what we appreciate about the things we love. Here’s a few geeky things I’m thankful for:
1. Thor 2 didn’t even make me cringe once! I studied Norse Mythology so these sort of things can be painful. Like when that one dude said I was wrong about Odin’s backstory and hadn’t I even seen the movie? ::cries over degree::
2. Amethyst in the New 52 (RIP).
3. Arrow turned out to be pretty good. I’m still pissed about Dinah/Black Canary, but they’ve done interesting things with Speedy’s classic addiction plot, PTSD, and class warfare. Not to mention Ollie is damn sexy when he speaks Russian. Dayum.
5. I now own Quiver! Huzzah!
6. FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM IS GONNA BE A SERIES OF FILMS AND J. K. ROWLING IS WRITING THE SCREENPLAY!!!
7. Game of Thrones and The Hobbit continue to give me awesome filk music. Buy ALL the soundtracks!
8. I got to go to Granitecon and get serenaded by Richard Horvitz.
9. The Hobbit 2 release date falls on both Durin’s Day and Friday the 13th. Neeeeeerrrrrdssss.
10. The Book Thief and The Hunger Games show that female-led genre fiction adaptations can hold their own in the box office.
11. John Scalzi stood up against con harassment by refusing to attend any con without clear harassment rules that they then follow through on.
12. Alison Croggon is writing a prequel to The Books of Pellinor! If you have not yet read Pellinor, go to Barnes & Noble on Black Friday, your local bookstore on Small Business Saturday, or Amazon on Cyber Monday and buy them. Or get them from the library. Just read them.
13. Everything the ALA, OIF, Harry Potter Alliance, and CBLDF have done and continue to do.
14. That the Noble Collection came out with Galadriel’s headdress(I know what I’ll be wearing to my wedding now). 12-year-old me weeps with joy.
15. YOU! You’re all awesome! Thank you for being so awesome!
HAPPY THANKSGIVUKKAH! May your day be full of feasting, family, and friends.